Major Impact of South Africa's Energy Crisis on Future Supply of Platinum Group Metals
By Dr David Davies
Please find our latest research report on the impact of South Africa’s energy crisis on Platinum Group Metals mine supply, by Dr David Davis (pdf report download below).
Having spent over 3 months working on this report, we trust the detail and proprietary data research in particular, will be of use to our readers.
South Africa has faced ongoing periods of widespread rolling blackouts (load shedding) for many years and the future looks extremely bleak for Eskom, the national electricity utility provider.
In the worst-case scenario, the effect of this “energy crisis” is likely to be overwhelming and will undoubtedly have a crippling effect on South Africa’s economy, PGM mining activities and therefore the global supply of Platinum in particular, given that South Africa produces 72% of the world's Platinum, 36% Palladium and 82% Rhodium.
- Disruptions to mining operations caused by higher electricity load shedding stages and more frequent load shedding will have an increasingly more severe impact on PGM production over the coming years.
- Load shedding at Stage 6 and above would mean that the miners would not go underground and operations would cease causing major PGM supply disruption.
- The impact of a diminishing and intermittent electricity supply can be attributed to a worsening cauldron of political ideology, political interference, state capture, mismanagement, lack of skills, poor maintenance, unscheduled breakdowns, crime and corruption.
- Mismanagement, cost constraints, the lack of skills and unscheduled breakdowns of the ageing coal-fired plants many of which are to be decommissioned.
- New-builds of electricity capacity are likely to be late, exacerbating the energy crisis.
- Considerable capital constraints to the energy recovery plan and lengthy delays, in part caused by corruption, will continue to hamper the procurement process.
- Plans for emergency power ships are likely to be scuppered due to the disastrous ecological and environmental impact.
- Prolonged industrial action, political upheaval, increasing costs and a significant reduction in capital expenditure. The PGM mining industry has been starved of expansion and ore reserve replacement capital for a number of years.
CLICK HERE to download the report in full.
Protect your wealth; invest in physical gold, silver or other precious metals at best prices from Indigo Precious Metals. Physical delivery across the world.
Consider the safest option of segregated, allocated vault storage at Le Freeport Singapore with IPM Group.
Disclaimer : The information contained in this website should be used as general information only. It does not take into account the particular circumstances, investment objectives and needs for investment of any investor, or purport to be comprehensive or constitute investment advice and should not be relied upon as such. You should consult a financial adviser to help you form your own opinion of the information, and on whether the information is suitable for your individual needs and aims as an investor. You should consult appropriate professional advisers on any legal, taxation and accounting implications before making an investment.